Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

#204 Lives In Sixty Paces


I’ve been a firefighter
For at least an hour
It’s getting boring
There aren't many fires
Everyone seems to be okay
So I say my goodbyes
And I’m on my way

Sixty paces later
I’m a knight storming a castle
Fighting dragons and dodging arrows
There’s a fair maiden inside
Rescuing needs to be done
Will no one step up to her need?
I shall be the one

After scaling the castle wall
By using my daggers to climb
Slaying the evil wizard
And carrying the princess from her prison
I refuse her kiss (eww)
I take sixty more paces
And end up doing this:

In a shiny new space craft
Flushed with pride at my new job
As a brave astronaut
Floating in outer space
Weightless as can be
Really hanging from a rope
Carefully looped over a tree

I resupply the space station
And fix a few satellites
We've been space-walking a long time
We check our tools and gauges and realize
Our air is getting thinner
Time to reenter the atmosphere
It’s almost time for dinner

I make it sixty paces closer to home
But I have time yet
I pause to race an Indy Car
Faster than all my competitors
I charge hard as they make way
Waving to AJ Foyt
As I pass him on the straightaway

The sun is dipping lower
It’s definitely time to eat
I take the last sixty paces

This time I’m me
I kiss my mom
She looks surprised and asks why
I tell her just because
And help her set the table
She asks how my day was
I tell her of the many jobs I did
As I made my way down the beach
The way the sand felt under my feet
The fun adventures I had
What great kids I did meet

Nothings better than being me though
As I complement mom on another great meal
I'm tired and looking forward to my soft bed already
And dreaming of the things I’ll do for real

No comments:

Post a Comment