Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

#167 Is a Post, Man

The post
Be straight
Rock hard
Dependable

Since before I was born
It was there
Set into the cold hard ground
By someone long gone
For reasons unknown

My grandfather
Broke the axle of his tractor on it
When the post only stood two feet high
It didn't move an inch when it happened

Nor when my grandfather
Blew himself up
Trying to set explosives around it

Covered in what was left
Of my grandfather
It stood stock still
Hard as the darkness
An enigma
In the night

The years gone by
Have seen the post grow
Though I know
It's the wind
And erosion of the soil
Sounds prettier to say it has grown
So I will

The post
Has grown

It now stands over six feet tall
And still it stands firm

My father tried to dig it up
He got down about ten feet
My mother says
Before the sides of his hole
Caved in

The safety rope he had around him
Served no purpose
Except to make it possible
To pull his limp body from the ground
Which sucked back shut
As he came free

He's buries near my grandfather
In the town cemetery

Now I stand here
Regarding the post
I size it up
It measures six foot four inches tall
From the earth
Exactly twenty four inches in circumference

If I squint
I think I can see writing upon it's cold grey skin
But when I look closer
It's nothing but a closed book again

Placing my hand upon it
I sigh deeply and walk away
I'm breaking the chain
I will never try to remove it
It will not claim my life this day

No comments:

Post a Comment