Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Monday, August 22, 2011

#233 BOOM

I’m a high-wire act
In a low brow town
They all want me to fall
But all I can do is drown

The levy it broke
Water came rushing in
Making a lake of this town
With only the church steeple marking our sin

It was our fault
My little group and I
We were playing with fire
I can’t even remember why

A bonfire pyre
As tall as city hall
Soaked in kerosene
Lit off and the fire was like a wall

Heat blistered our skin
All my hair burned off
We ran for our lives
And that’s when the propane lit off

Storage tanks not 50 yards away
Blame the liquor or our stupidity
It’s the same result either way
The explosion leveled half the city

Knocked out by the concussion
I came to breathing water
I sat up sputtering
Deaf and half drowned as it were

Blood running from my ears and nose
I stared incredulously at the water all around
I had been one of the lucky ones
I’d been taken out on the high ground

The hill in the park
Became my island in the storm
A few others struggled in
We huddled to keep warm

The bonfire long extinguished
The propane farm a deep black bole
The levy ripped open just beyond
Displaying a 100 yard hole

I looked around
Nothing making a sound
Not the rushing water
Not the animals
Nor the people and their screams
I hung my head and wept
At the terrible spectacle of the scene

I waded out and started swimming
Looking to help and make good
Not knowing if I could
Certain though, that I should

1 comment:

  1. For some reason this one reminds me of the Boston Molasses Massacre, even though it doesn't have a lot to do with this poem... if you haven't heard of it, look it up, interesting story.

    ReplyDelete