Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Saturday, August 13, 2011

#225 In 1984

In 1984
It was days of  yore
Of plenty
And innocence to spare

I was learning
To use my Retina camera
Make model rockets
And how to refinish a boat

I was in big trouble
For throwing stones at the window
But the window was broken
Actually it was cellophane
And it wasn’t stones
It was wood chips

So actually:
Throwing wood chips at the cellophane
“Get out of my sight” She said to that

I was into Men At Work
Van Halen was the bomb
I was a mix tape fool
I made them for fun
Using my patch cords
Listening to them on my walkman
Then recording them over

I mowed the grass
Enjoying the sweet  smell
Of Lawn Boy two stroke mix
Clipping and trimming with hand clippers
Wearing my shoes out on the East Lansing lawn

I had birth control glasses
Anything cooler was automatically vetoed
My mother dressed me
I couldn’t leave home unless she approved

I dreamed of owning a Ferrari someday
Though I had no means to pay
Hitching rides from my friends brother
Was as close as I could come

In 1984
I glued the lock on Mr. Ball’s classroom door
I lied to his face when he confronted me
His braces clad teeth gritted

I continued my habit
Of falling out my chair during class
Making a racket on the floor
I thought it was funny

In 1984
Much the same as today
I didn’t know what I want to do when I grow up
But I was going into the eighth grade
I was king of our school
High school was still a lifetime away

No comments:

Post a Comment