Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

#230 Is the Plane Game


The sun is setting
The towering clouds in the west
Are on fire from within
Glowing orangely

Three airplanes
High above those clouds
Make their way in three different directions
Their contrails streaming behind them
Like white fire in the setting sunlight

And just like most other times I see such things
I think of her
And the little game she taught me

Those long years ago
She led me outside
Behind her house
To the train tracks
Brown and rusty on the sides
Weeds growing up through the white gravel
The black tarred wooden ties
Almost hidden in some places

We sat down on the seldom used rails
And had a cigarette
Discussing things that seemed deep at the time

Looking up
She noticed an airplane going by
A jetliner
So high the body was just a dot
With a white string of a contrail in it's wake
Making it’s slow way across our sky that day

She asked me where I thought it was going
And I thought literally
Trying to figure out what direction it was going
But she stopped me

Not like that
She said

Where do you wish it was going
Wish that you were on it
And why

I had to think
And I don’t remember what I said

Then she said where she’d wish it was going
How she’d wish she were on it
And why

But I don’t remember what she said either

The important thing is
That I still look up
I still see the airplanes going by
And I play the little game in my head
Thinking of her
The taste of our cheap cigarettes
How hard the steel rail was on my butt

And I tell myself where I wish the plane was going
And wish I was on it
And why

No comments:

Post a Comment