Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Narcissistic Transference Day

I woke up one day
And everything felt familiar
Everywhere I went
It was like looking in a mirror

Not obvious at first
All I saw was me
I brushed my teeth and combed my hair
The reflection was naturally my own

Then I saw the postman
And under his grey blue cap
With it's official government logo
A familiar visage looked back at me
Not his
But mine

I said hello to myself
Discussed the weather
Took my mail
And most confusedly went on my way

Then I saw the homeless man
That was there every day
Sitting next to 'his' dumpster
Head down on his chest
Sleeping because there wasn't anything else to do
His sign still said
"Help a Homeless Vet"

I usually didn't give him any money
Because he smelled bad
And made me think of uncomfortable things
Today as usual
He perked up at the sound of footsteps
Raised his face and asked for a dollar

I got ready to say no
Or just ignore him as I usually do
Then I saw his face
And it was me
Peering past long greasy hair
Under the dirty felt hat
Smelling bad

And so I stopped
I asked him how he was
What he thought of the world today
I did something I never do
I gave him some money

All I had was twenty dollar bills
So that's what he got
One of those

His face lit up like christmas
And he got up for the first time I've ever seen
Wandering off towards the shops

Bemusedly I went on about my errands
Seeing myself everywhere I looked
I was the shopkeeper
I was the barber
I was the bank teller
I was everywhere

When I got home that night
I told my wife about my day
And with eyes that looked just like mine
She listened intently

Later that evening
I made love to myself
For she was me
And I was her

The next day
Everything was back to normal
And I was a total prick to everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment