Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Maybe Kittler Was Right

A desktop computer with dual screens
Ten inch tablet for checking memes
Cel phone at the ready
Receiving texts and bidding on ebay
Wifi all around me
Invisible informational connectivity
Blending with the 3G

I feel alive
Cuddled in this womb of technology
Tools for me to use
For whatever purpose I see
Even when I think I'm on vacation
I can't help my awesome productivity

End of the day
Thank god it's friday
Time to unplug
Time to unhook
From this technological umbilical

Twin monitors no longer filling my view
With everything I could ask for
I substitute my tablet and phone
Two smaller windows to the virtual world
All the way up north on the train
Touching and swiping
Pinching and pecking
Plussing and Liking

Now up in the sticks
No wifi
No 3G
Only a slow Edge Network
To slake my data thirst
My technology firing on half it's cylinders
Feeling restless
Waiting for the endless load

Arriving at the cabin
Pristine wilderness in front of me
A non-motorized area
No cars
No motorboats

I hop in my canoe
Looking for something to do
Floating in the middle of the crystal clear water
Fish swimming below me
As I poke at my phone
Using offline apps
As even the Edge network is far behind me now
I'm not even sure I could make a phone call

But the Angry Birds and Temple Run
Soon lose their flavor
Not much to do
Nothing to savor
Just a pretty light show in my hand
Nothing new or fascinating
No multitasking or chatting
I just stare at the home screen
In hopes that something will happen

With all this beauty around me
All I have eyes for is this blasted phone
Far from being the master of my technology
I find I'm a slave to it in my blood sweat and bone

No comments:

Post a Comment