Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Splashdown pt1

The night was clear and cold
I had the orange Halloween lights out
The decorated the stainless rails on the boat
Surrounding the seating area in a pumpkin colored glow

The Lake Michigan waves gently rocked the boat
A classic Chris Craft cabin cruiser
Lovingly named Armoise

I had two lines in the water
One on each side of the boat
Each with a few different kinds of bait on fixed jigs
A little worm here
A little minnow there
A veritable buffet for whatever fish happened along

It was vacation and I was relaxing
A heater at my feet
A favorite book on my lap
Though the rocking motion of the boat
And the sound of the soft waves
Was fast trying to put me to sleep

In the distance I could hear an airplane going overhead
A pretty regular occurrence
As this spot was on one of the main flight paths
Into and out of Chicago

I looked up and watched the pinpoints of light go by
That marked the jets place in the sky

I had just turned my attention back to my book
When I heard a strange sound
The sound of rushing air

Looking up
I saw a blur smash into the water
Only a boat length away on the port side
A plume of water exploding upwards
Illuminated by my holiday lights and the moon
Then raining down all over me and the boat

Now drenched
I went below for a towel and change of clothes
My sodden book laying on the deck next to my chair
The starboard side fishing pole playing out line
As a fish merrily ran with a late night snack

I stripped down and dried off
Swearing to myself about blue ice
And people who threw things out of airplanes

No comments:

Post a Comment