Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

#263 Too Many Boxes: Too Many Memories

Boxes of memories
Full of books
Full of pictures
Full of CD's
Old cassettes
Even 8 Track tapes

I have too much
Too many boxes
Too much deteriorating media

Things I haven't looked at
Let alone used
In years

I have to purge
It all just can't stay
Taking up space
Gathering mold and mildew
Until they decay
Much to my disgrace

I've looked over the books
Some are easy to get rid of
The book club editions
Gotten to check things out
Read once
Entertained
Then should have been passed on

Harder
Are the books I used to love
But they just don't hold up anymore
I'm a much different person now
Than I was when I was twelve

Into the donation box they go
Don't worry
I've kept the good ones
Until they will get looked at too
And I'll wonder why I kept them

Pictures are easy
I just keep them all
I just file them away neater
And in smaller clever boxes

CD's, cassettes and 8-Tracks
Are a harder nut to crack
Overall anyways

Cassettes have to go
They are slowly going bad
The magnetic transfer
Always taking place
Until such a time
As the only sound they'll make
Is not that of music anymore

The one offs
Or otherwise precious ones
Are set aside
To be digitized
To the landfill
All the rest do go

8-Tracks
Are set aside for now
I don't have many left
So I'll have to think
If I want to get rid of my 8-Track player

One goes
And the other must as well

CD's
Are an issue all their own
Measured in pounds
And cubic feet

I went through many years
Of spending money
Buying everything I liked
To always have it close to me

Now here they are
In their hundred pounds of glory
I've almost halved their number
Yet the prospect still staggers me

How can I let this one go?
Or that?
My god, what if I want to hear that someday?
I'm having a rough time

Soon this purge will be over
And the subjects that survive
Will hide in their boxes once again
To exist, if not thrive

In a few years
I'll revisit the issue
Unless a flood or fire does it for me
But then
That's just wishful thinking

No comments:

Post a Comment