Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Friday, September 2, 2011

#245 Bad Things in the Dark


The door creaks
Rusty hinges protesting
I put my weight into it
And it opens far enough
To let some light in

In the corner
Cowers a nightmare with legs
And teeth
Oh my god, the teeth
I grab the door handle
And pull it shut with all my might
Lest that horror get loose unto the night

Going forward
Because I cannot go back
I hold my lantern higher
To keep my fears at bay
Another door on the left
Dare I open it?

I do
Because I have to find a way out
This one doesn't want to open
No matter how hard I push
I curse loudly as I bruise my shoulder
From the other side of the door
An answering ominous hiss
I didn't want to open that one anyways
I think to myself

A little further
And some steps going down appear
Crap on a stick
I don't want to be going down
Do I?
My steps are tentative as I go
Step by downward step
The temperature changes
Getting warmer
Seems like it should be getter colder though
Isn't that how basements work?

This isn't much of a basement
More like a dungeon
But those thoughts aren't helpful
So I drive them into the darkness

At the bottom of seventy-two stairs (!)
I pass through a narrow stone archway
And I try to puzzle shapes out of the darkness
But there is nothing
I make a small noise
To try to judge the size of the space
And all I get are faint echoes
I get a chill in my bones
Imagining this cavernous place

Suddenly a noise above
A flutter, and some clicks
Something wrenches me painfully by my shoulders
Sharp talons with toes three inches thick

I'm lifted into the darkness
By black beating wings
Someone is screaming loudly
I look down
And watch the pinpoint of light
That is my dropped lantern
Receding
Fading
Until it disappears
Into the night

No comments:

Post a Comment