Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

#253 A Life in a Day

As the sun rises
So do I
I tear open my egg
And blink at the light

I’m hungry
I move off to a plant nearby
Mother must have laid me there
Because she knew

I slice off chunks of plant
Mashing each chunk slowly
Before pushing it down
And reaching for another

Soon the plant is just a nub
And I feel satiated
For the moment
I do feel a little constricted though

My skin pops
I look down
At the bottom of my abdomen
There is a tear

I pick at it
It gets bigger
Until I just climb  right out
Standing now next to an empty shell of myself

I feel the need to move
The sun has grown higher in the sky
I should go find…..something
I spread my wings and fly

Hungry, again
I spy a likely plant
It’s much bigger than the last
And has several other like me around it

I land
They all look at me
Then go back to eating
I join them

A crashing in the underbrush
Grabs our attention
Suddenly a huge furry creature bursts out
And devours three of us
Before we can fly away

The sun is directly above now
As I stop to shed my skin again
As I step out of the old
I hear a rustling nearby
And see another
I saw him at the plant
Before we were so interrupted

We look at each other
He strikes a strange pose
I feel sensations inside me
I want to go closer

When I grow near
He grasps me firmly
And flies up into the sky
I’m alarmed when I feel him enter me
And struggle slightly in his grasp

After going some distance
He lands clumsily
And drops me
He is pale and discolored
And falls to his side
I look down at him
And poke him gently
He doesn’t move
So I eat him

The sun is halfway down the sky
As I eat in a frenzy
His carcass is not enough
And I eat every plant I can see
Until I am full

I walk a little bit
And find a small sheltered place
Next to a big rock
It’s shady and safe
I look to my left
And there is a fine plant there
With several small buds on the ground near

I want to dig
So I dig a shallow hole
And squat above it
Pushing gently
Ten small white eggs slide out of me

I gaze at them longingly
And cover them with some sand
Feeling weaker now
I climb slowly up on the rock
And look out at the sky

The sun is setting
The sky is awash with oranges
Purples and blues
My hands are discolored and pale
I fall to my side
My life is complete

No comments:

Post a Comment