Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

#305 Happy Day of The Dead!


I've got my meringue powder
I'm mixing it well
With the sugar and the water
I've kept some aside
To the water I'll add pink

Grandma's favorite color was pink

I'm doing this as she told me
But unlike her kitchen
Mine is now covered with ingredients
I'll chalk that up to undue expedience

She would have clucked her tongue at my haste

Mixed just right
I'm pressing the mix in tight
Pushing into the mold
Then popping it out onto the cardboard

Wow, it looks just right

Not falling apart
Nothing left in the mold
I can do this I think
And on the idea I'm sold

It takes almost a half hour more
Then all the mixture is gone
Transformed into rows
Of white and pink

Holy cow I need a drink

In the morning
Late morning to be honest
I stagger to the kitchen
Holding my pounding head

I would really have loved to stay in bed

I start my task dutifully
Grabbing two more pounds of sugar
Half a cup of meringue
Two thirds cup of water

I mix it for nine minutes
The mix peaked nicely
I packed it into Tupperware
Sealing it tightly

Now for some color
I choose blue to start
Scooping out some icing
I add it part to part

Picking up the first skull
I look at it thoughtfully
Then add features to it
Making him look quite the woolly bully

Other colors come and go
Flowers dots dashes and dabs
All applied with care
Placed on my wooden slabs

I set some aside
I carry the rest to the market
Only one day to sell these
I find a spot and park it

Three hours later
All my skulls are gone
I take the proceeds
And buy a few things

Grand mama's favorite liquor
Scented candles
An armful of marigolds
I return and remove my sandals

With the sun setting
I get ready for bed
Tomorrow is a long day
I have to wake early for the dead

Looking forward to spending time
At Grandma's grave
Trimming her grass
Washing her tombstone
I'll pour her a drink
Arrange her pretty painted skulls
Place her marigolds so carefully
And I will not be alone

For Dia De Los Muertos is here

No comments:

Post a Comment