Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

#319 Futility In Motion


Mahogany tabletop
It fills my vision
The exquisite grain
The deep rich color
The smooth finish
Like satin under my fingertips

Spinning silver coins
Fluttered upon this backdrop
One always slower than the next
One always about to fall
One always just started

I can't let them all fall
I don't know why
But I can't
Something might happen
Might be the end of me
Might be the end of you

Doesn't matter
My fingers do their work
Catching the faltering coin deftly
Snapping my fingers
As I spin up the coin again
The firelight shimmering
Upon the blurred rim of the coin
As it performs it revolutions
Orbiting it's constant threat
Of losing it's battle
Against friction
The tabletop
And the air itself
Taking their toll upon it's motion

The next coin is about to fall
I catch it
I snap it
I spin it
I watch it

The next coin slows
Demanding my attention
Catch
Snap
Spin
Watch

The cycle never ends
It's a series of actions
Without much sense
Only happening
Because I do not stop
Because it's what my father did
Because it's what his father did
And his father's father
Continuing to some unseen point
In the genealogical past

I damn the first coin spinner
But I do it under my breath
Careful not to upset my rhythm
I pluck the slowest coin up

And I spin it once again

No comments:

Post a Comment