Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Monday, May 23, 2011

#143 Alexander the Painted

Alexander lived in a coffee can
In the blue tub
On the red wagon
With his manna of hamburger

I found him one day
While away on vacation
He was swimming next to our boat
I offered him some bread
And scooped him up
I took him home
And kept him for the summer

He was the prettiest little painted turtle
Bigger than both my small hands put together
He seemed to like living with us
He had a small rock
Which he basked on
In his tub, on the wagon

Of course, he loved his red meat
I would feed him
Three or four pinches of ground round
Every day

Every night
I'd roll him into the garage
To protect him from critters
All the raccoons and things
That seemed to wander around

At the summers end
I put him in his Maxwell House home
And carried him down to the lake
I laid the can on it's side
And waited for him to come out
After a bit, he did
And without a look to me
He swam away

I left the can there
Hoping he might return
For another bite or two
Of hamburger

But he never did

I dream he is out there still
Fortified by his power diet of meat
In the summer of '78

No comments:

Post a Comment