Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

#135 Were Boys on the Loose


Lake Lansing lapped lazily
Upon the shores near where we played
My best friend Jeff and I
Finding adventure in the woods and water
We were equipped for anything
In sneakers and jeans
I think we had sticks too
You never know
What you might want to poke at
And on this day
We found something great

It was a dead turtle

We poked at it
We peered at it
We flipped it
We flopped it

Eventually
We decided to cut it’s head off

I swear I don’t know
Which one of us came up with the idea
We were eight years old
So really, could have been either of us

So I took my pocket knife
And snicked open the blade
A blade so dull
That no sane person would have used it
But, it still seemed like a good idea

We stretched out his neck on the ground
And I started sawing at it
Not much happened
Imagine rolling a piece of rubber around
With a butter knife

Then something made a crunching noise
And some goo came out the turtle’s mouth

That was enough for me
I dropped the knife
And threw up in the stream
Jeff may have laughed

He probably should have

We pushed the turtle back into the stream
To do whatever it is
That dead turtles do
And we walked back to his house

There were Lego masterpieces to build
Tents to set up
Dirt to move around
And probably a good snack waiting in the kitchen

2 comments: