Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Man Before The Desert


Wind brisk as it ruffled my hair
I scootched my chair a bit closer to my fire ring
Crackling brightly with the scrap pine I'd thrown inside
My feet were hot
My midsection fairly comfortable
My head was cold
That's the way life is
I think to myself
Never quite perfect
Everywhere
All the time

Over my fairly comfortable midsection I held the piece of paper
The piece of paper that defines how my life has changed

A kind of summary for all the tests and doctor's office visits I've been making
All over the last three months
There seems to be a lot of Latin on the page
And symptoms
And expected outcomes

Latin Latin Latin, blah blah blah
Loss of motor function
Progressive nerve damage
Negative prognosis
Within twelve months time.......

I'd failed my yearly physical three months ago
I still couldn't believe it
The doctor couldn't believe it either
He claimed all the other doctors
Well, they should have caught onto this years ago

I'm just as glad that they didn't
After almost twenty years of flying
I'm grounded
Officially
Permanently
Grounded
With a capitol 'G' my friend

Can't have people like me flying things around in the wild blue
What with the possibility of whatever new thing my body might do
To betray me
Which is what this felt like
Betrayal

I'm almost glad I never had children now
It would kill me to not see them grow and have kids of their own

I haven't told my ex-wife
And I probably won't
Why bother her
Pity?
I think I'll give enough of that to myself

Fuck that

She'd left me for the gold standard reason of my profession
The AIDS
Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome
It's pretty common
We like to pretend it's just about the airplanes
But it's all the time away from home
All the missed holidays
The missed dinners
The interrupted vacations

She's happier now
So I'm not going to tell her

What I am supposed to do
Is get rid of all my stuff
And move into an assisted living community
I had several pamphlets in the box next to my chair here
But I've been putting off looking at them
I'm barely forty
I don't want to go into what equates in my mind as an "Old Folks Home"

I toss the medical summary sheet into the fire
It blackens up very satisfactorily
Leaving a dark ghost image of it's former self
Almost
I can make out the words still
Standing just a tiny bit darker than the ash that used to be the paper

I poke it with a stick
Smiling as it falls to pieces

I grab the box
Full of the rest of my medical bullshit
The pamphlets
Some get well cards
I throw it on the fire

A shower of sparks goes up with the smoke
Into the night sky
I follow it up with my eyes
Settling my head back against my chair

The moon shines at my face
Hazy as seen through the hot smoke from my fire
I wish I could go there
Or do anything real
Interesting
Something they could tell tales about
I haven't done anything like that in my life so far

Being born is pretty common
Normal schooling
Normal relationships
Became a pilot
Still pretty normal
Flew for several small airlines before landing a job at Eastern
Normal normal
Married, divorced
Normal, normal, normal

Now I'm going to die
All perfectly normal

I close my eyes
Listening to the fire
Baking my feet
Freezing my head
And I think
I'd say daydream
But it's night
So call it what you will

The moonlight shines through my eyelids
I can't get away from it

Now there's a thought
My eyes open
I stare at the moon some more

I might just have enough time to do something like that
Have to sell all of my stuff though
Good thing I was going to do that anyways

I sit up and poke the fire some more
Laughing lightly at the sparks raised
Like angry little hornets
Flying in a swirl
High fast and hot

To the Moon

No comments:

Post a Comment