Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dog

Most times
I think to myself
There is food in the bowl
Padding over to check
But there wasn't any
I give it a good lick just to make sure
But it certainly is empty
Not even any kibble dust to add flavor to the lick

A man walks by
Slowing to look in my cage
I sit quickly and cock my head
Sometimes when I did that I got a treat
But he just reaches in and pats my head softly
Burbling something out of his mouth
I sure wish they could talk
I'll bet they are saying something smart

Even though there isn't a treat
I wag my tail
And lick his hand as he pulls it back
I try to be nice
Usually nice things happened when I am

Except for lately

Lately
I'd been scared
My only family had left
After so long being happy
Suddenly there was anger and sadness
Then all the things in the house
Had been put into a big yellow truck
They'd shut me inside the garage with some food and water
And left

I waited

I waited all day
I waited all night
I waited all week
My water ran out
My food ran out
I barked every time I heard someone
Thinking it might be them
That this was all a mistake

I laid down
I couldn't bark anymore
I was so hungry
I was so thirsty
I was so tired

Then the big door opened
Someone walked in and picked me up
I rode in a car in the back seat
The windows were down
I wanted to put my head out
I loved to do that
But I just couldn't

Then I came here
I saw a doctor
He looked at me
He weighed me
He clucked his tongue at me
He gave me some shots

I drank as much water as I wished
I ate kibble too
Now many days later
I feel better

But I'm always worried that the food will run out
I always double check the water
Someday there might be none again
I chew my left leg when I think these thoughts
Nobody likes it when I do that though
I don't get treats
So I try not to
But it's hard

The man comes back
This time he has a treat
I can see it in his hand
Another man walks slower behind him
But I'm mostly looking at the treat
The first man gives the treat to the second
Saying something incoherent

The new man reaches out slowly
I sniff him carefully
He smells strange
Sweet and maybe a little sick too
I like the smell though

So I sit
I cock my head
I make a little noise in my throat
A happy noise
And he gives me the treat

I love how that works

More talking between themselves
I look from one to the other
Trying to maintain cuteness
Finally they shake hands
The gate is opened
And the new man comes in

I bury my nose in his crotch
So I can get a good smell of him
He hooks a leash to my collar as I'm doing that
Scratches me behind the ears

He turns and walks away
I follow
I don't want to drag behind
Through the door
To a waiting pickup truck
Old and white
With lots of stuff piled up in the back
I've only got eyes for the inside though
I want up on that seat

He opens the door for me
And in I go
He leans over and rolls down my window after he gets in

As we pick up speed pulling away
My head pops out the window
A dark German Shepherd face
With one droopy ear looking back at me in the mirror
I put one paw on the door mirror
I stick my whole upper body out the window
Tongue hanging out
Wind blowing my lips back
I bark

No comments:

Post a Comment