Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

#363 Looks For Meaning In a Vacuum

I have to do something different
I keep saying it every year
But this time I mean it
You are right to show fear

No more buying
Just for the sake of buying
Stocking stuffers
Bought and sold
Just to take up space
Is this what we've reduced it to?
Is buying the foundation of our race?

There are things one really needs
Starting with air, water and food
Shelter and companionship
They go a long way
Some things just keep you alive
Other keep you sane

Beyond those needs
Things get absolutely hazy
Do I really need this iPhone thing?
Or am I just batshit crazy

But the whole thing that started this
What the fuck is Christmas anyways
Is it a day, an event, a movement?
Supposedly the day the Christ child was born
Only to be slaughtered like an animal
Thirty three years on
This celebration of guilt
Has morphed into an unrecognizable form

Just like most modern holidays it seems
Meaning is lost in the commercial memes
Santa Claus, Cupid, and the Easter Bunny
Have come to represent certain holidays
And a corporate opportunity to take in money

But I won't go down the bitter path
It's just that I don't feel it anymore
Using my three mentioned examples
Christmas, Valentines Day, and Easter

I've lost the Christmas spirit
I've no love on Valentines Day
What am I to do
Without the feel of sacrifice and rebirth
On Easter Sunday?

I can't blame anyone
Except for myself
I've taken the offered propaganda
Happily and with gusto
But it's not working anymore

The best I felt this Christmas season
Was when I had no small bills
Yet felt the need to put something in
The red Salvation Army tin

I slipped in a twenty
Folded up almost in embarrassment
Everyone would think I was showing off
Or so my cynicism said

The guy with the bell
He knows what money looks like
Even with the numbers hidden
He made sure to thank me
For my generous donation

I grunted an assent
Turned ad walked away
My Scrooge persona
Not working well that day

Right then though
I felt it
My heart grew three sizes
However you want to describe it

But that's what Christmas really is

It's not buying things
Just so there is something there
Without meaning
It might as well be air

It won't do anyone any good
And I'm done
For the tenth time I am
And I'll do as I said I would

Down with Christmas!
Long live Christmas!

You know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment