Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Saturday, December 10, 2011

#344 Friday Night St. Thomas Dance Party

I made an infallible decision once
Turns out I was wrong
Turns out there is no sure thing
It plays out like an old song
Spinning at thirty-three and a third
I get dizzy trying to read the rotating label
It's the Bee Gees
No, wait, must be the Bangles
Blood, Sweat, And Tears?

It's got a groove most definitely
I'd say I can dance to it
But I can't dance
And if I tried
I might fail
And who'd want that
Not me
No Sir

Despite my best intentions
My toe starts tapping
Seems to be keeping a beat
Feels like a waltz
Three three time
One-two-three
One-two-three
My thoughts start moving in that rhythm
I close my eyes for a second
Hips start moving
I open them up and look to my left

Anne looks back at me
I grab her hand
Too embarrassed to say no
She comes along
We join a few other couples
Out on the basketball court floor
Dancing awkwardly in the dim light
We grasp each other lightly
And box step to the beat

I wasn't Fred Astaire that night
But I didn't have to be
I was twelve years old
It was my first dance
Just going had seemed bold
But better than sitting at home
Wondering what everyone was doing
All dressed up in the gym
On a Friday night

No comments:

Post a Comment