Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

#347 Pocket Watch Prom Date

Tick tock
In a steady beat
Goes my pocket
A slight bulge
Betraying the object
That nests there

Marvelously mechanical
Maniacal in intensity
Gears upon gears
Springs and screws holding things
But I suspect just barely
All held in with a sterling case
Etched by hand
Almost a century ago

This flower
I just stole ten minutes ago
From the MSU arboretum
No one saw me
But even if they did
I didn't care
This was for her

So was the tux
Even though I had it on
I wouldn't care otherwise
I'd just show up naked
But she wouldn't approve
Clothes are required at prom
That's what she'd say
I better keep this one
She'll keep me in line

Tux
Check
Corsage
Check
Pocket watch
Wound!

I practiced what I'd say
Standing in the bathroom mirror
Earlier today
Wearing my robe
Standing in slippers
I cut quite a figure
As I imagined knocking on her door
Her dad would be standing behind
I'd just have to ignore that
He scared the hell out of me

Hours later
Sun long since set
Music all around us
We held each other
And swayed
I felt cool
She felt warm
My watch ticked steadily
Between us
Slowly
Steadily
Keeping time

No comments:

Post a Comment