Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

That's Gratitude For You

Your exuberant gratitude
At the fact that I closed the kitchen door
Rings hollow and false
Making of me a mockery more and more

When I dropped a book off
Upon it's proper bookshelf on my way by
Granted it was at your request
Though would anyone have asked why

You offered to cook me supper for that
Your thanks was never ending
I'm beginning to question your reason
Though it's my sanity you are bending

I brought you a cup of water this morning
And tears filled your eyes
So thankful were you
My own eyes could not deny

It beggars credulity
To see you thank so overmuch
For common things
Commonly courteously done

Eventually came a day
When I did something that truly deserved your thanks
And when it came I stopped and paused
Surveying all the ranks

Of the many times you'd thanked me in the past
For common things commonly done
And how you'd gone equally overboard
In gratitude on every single one

Now here we were
You thanking me with equal exuberance
This time for something truly worthwhile
It begs this askance:

Is this significant act valued
The same as the shutting of a door?
Or were you faking your gratitude
Those many times before?

Or is it me
That you see me as so unkind
As to be surprised and thankful
For any act of kindness that you get?

There's something there
I can't put my finger upon it
As you praise me to the heavens
For wiping up a spill as if I have no wit

Perhaps I'm just a dog to you
And all this ill gotten praise
Is just your way of training me
To do as you wish the rest of my days

Rest assured I'll figure out this fakery
And that when I do
I'll design a plan of vengeance
So as to thank you appropriately too

No comments:

Post a Comment