Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Special Delivery

There must be mail
I think to myself
I stop to look both ways
Even though our street is lightly travelled
I'm looking at our old crooked mailbox
Hoping something interesting is inside
Thus justifying the fifty yard walk

A loud and unfamiliar sound scares the crap out of me
It sounds like someone snapping a wool blanket
Over and over right next to me
I panic and look around
Ready to flee mostly

I look up at the top of the tall dead tree next to the mailbox
And just a few feet away from the topmost branch
And rising fast
Is an adult bald eagle
With most of a fish in it's left talon

I lean on the mailbox for support
I'm relieved I'm not going to die from the strange flapping sound
I watch the eagle fly away
Out along the shore of Lake Huron
Doubtless looking for a more secluded place to eat it's lunch

I open the mailbox
Nothing there but a sale flyer from a furniture store
I sigh
Nope, nothing interesting at all

No comments:

Post a Comment