Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Quarter Sized Sound

It's the sound
But actually not the sound you think

There's a red Harley Sportster next to me
A couple more Harleys in front of me
And some behind me
All riding two abreast down this country road
Open loud pipes
Doubtless saving our lives

Otherwise the saying on my t-shirt would be wrong

Staccato exhaust notes
In a matched syncopated potato rhythm
It's all around me
It thumps my chest
As much as any rock concert could

It's satisfying
In a way no sound should be
But not why you think

The sound takes me back
Back to a time twenty years before
When I was young
When I wore a vinyl jacket and Bell helmet
Like a suit of armor

Because I didn't know any better

When I rolled on Bridgestone tires
And six inch rims
A Kurtis race car
One quarter size
Around a one twentieth mile oval
Around and around
Chasing my eight year old dreams

The sound that surrounds me
In that pack of Harleys
Makes me eight years old again
Lined up two abreast
In a group of six
Rounding the corner looking for the green flag
Six little feet stomp six quarter sized gas pedals
Six Deco engines fire staccato notes
From barely muffled throats
Thump my quarter sized chest
As much as any rock concert could

And I'm eight years old again
My whole life ahead of me
Possibilities endless
Gift wrapped in that sound

One quarter sized


No comments:

Post a Comment