Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

#300 The Need To Fill A Hole


I've looked everywhere

I've done as you asked
I looked where you said
I've looked under rocks
I've looked under my bed

But he isn't there

Whenever I ask you where
Your face turns red
And you look away from me
It fills me with a sense of dread

I ask you if it's my fault
That he went away
You tell me no
That he just couldn't stay

You don't seem to understand

I have a hole
It's dark and empty
And it's inside my soul
But you refuse to see

I know you love me
I know that you care
But when I want to talk of him
Your eyes wander into a thousand yard stare

This is one mystery that just isn't fair

So I'm taking things into my own hands
I'm packing my bag
With all the essentials
Now it's almost too heavy to drag

I leave it behind
As I strike out at dawn
I'm going to a place
That I've only seen drawn

In his own hand
Many different images
That you hid in dark boxes
All marked simply "Cortez"

I don't know what that means either
You'll never tell me
Though it means something to you
I have eyes and can see

That same image
Drawn from different views
The cabin in the woods
Framed by a copse of yews

Upstate Maine is a long ways away
But I'm ten years old today
You said I'm a big boy
And I can find the way

As I cross the neighbor's field
Rough and bumpy from cultivation
I wipe the sweat from my eyes
And envision my goal with new determination

It will be
The best feeling I've ever had
When I knock on that cabin door
And can finally hug my Dad


No comments:

Post a Comment