Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

#22 is a Tomatoeface


I've been reading PETA Brochures lately
So that I can better care for the creatures of the Earth
There is a line about eating nothing with a face
So I've sworn off anything that can give birth.

Now weeks into my journey
Towards full Vegan-ism
I open my fridge to hunt for fresh produce
While watching the afternoon show of “Chisum”

Oh, that John Wayne is a hunk of cowboy
Even me being sworn Hetero can admit that
So with tomato and green pepper in hand
I shoo away the Cat

Always takes my chair
I often wonder at that…
Don’t think he’s a John Wayne Fan
But who can say the motivations of a cat.

I rummage in the knife drawer..
With half an eye on the telly
Finding my favorite knife
I regard my tomato thoughtfully.

I see a jolly wrinkle on it’s skin it seems,
So I wipe it off before setting it down,
And all goes well,
Until it sees the knife…suddenly a frown

Did I say “it sees”?
Because for sure that is what it seemed
That my tomato was trying to communicate with me
That it didn't want to be sliced, fried, or creamed.

I looked closer…
Almost, it winked at me I think..
Eyes wide, I put it down..
And poured myself a drink.

If a tomato has a face.
That opens up all kinds of issues…
With the vegetable race.
Primary of which is: “What the devil am I to eat?”

No comments:

Post a Comment