Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Friday, July 6, 2012

Tumbleweeds

"Ooooh, those tumbling tumbleweeds..."
I sang it out loud
Trying to remember the words
Not worried about being proud

Why bother after all
There aren't people for hundreds of miles
Scrub desert all I could see
Sand, rocks, cactus
And tumbleweeds

They blew all around in the evening's stiff breeze
Rolling about with the greatest of ease
It was relaxing to watch
I lost track of time
So hypnotized by the tumbling tumbleweeds

Soon the sun disappeared
Behind a distant mountain ridge
Throwing another log on the fire
I straightened my sleeping bag
Stretched out on the softest sandiest area I could find
Right next to my motorcycle

Some rustling and bustling caught my ears and eyes
Looking around I saw it was only some tumbleweeds
Having gotten caught up in a nearby scrub bush
Being pushed and pulled by the breeze
Trying to make their way back out into the open desert

I paid them no mind

Stretched out next to my bike
Soft sand under the sleeping bag conforming to my shape
Warm fire burning low a few feet away
Keeping the chill of the evening at bay

The stars stared down at me
I stared up the stars
My eyelids drooped
Again and again
I struggled to stay awake
Just for a few more minutes
Taking in all the beauty of the night

Some more rusting and bustling from the tumbleweeds
Sounding a little closer this time
But I didn't care
Nothing to worry about from some tumbleweeds
Silly things

My eyes closed
Sleep enveloped me

A crash of thunder and pain awoke me
It felt like a hundred little spikes were being drilled into my head
Lighting flashed
I saw a tangled mess of dry twigs before my eyes
All of it moving like no twigs should
Almost like living appendages

I screamed
The tumbleweed was doing something to me
Struggling to pull my arms free
Finding myself restrained by a dozen more tumbleweeds
I heard a cracking sound

That wasn't thunder
I numbly thought to myself
A cold draft chilled the inside of my head
My eyes closed
I fell into nothing

No comments:

Post a Comment