Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Tale of Two Towers - pt 1 - Another Tale of the Wrench

Feels like just yesterday that I was a mechanic
But I was getting antsy with my career path
Filled out some applications
Laid out some money
Bang zoom
Six months later I'm a certified Flight Engineer

What does that do for me?

Well, in my case, I got to move up the next rung on career ladder
I get to sit third seat in a DC-8 cockpit
I get the honor of doing all the dirty shit on the plane
At least when there isn't some poor bastard mechanic I can pawn it off on
Like they used to do to me

Oh I'll be nice about it
It's fun to talk though

I'm pretty excited
Today is my first flight performing my new job
I've done a bunch out of the home base
But this is the first one "out of the nest"
We are picking up an airplane fresh out of overhaul in Peru
It's already had it's major post maintenance test flight last week
So all the dangerous crap is out of the way

The flight engineer that had been on board for that?
He'd had to go home
Some kind of family emergency
I'd been happy to fill in

Peru was a new place for me
We had a couple of days before we had to leave
And the pilot and copilot had taken me to several great places
Saw some ruins
Bought some handmade stuff from the locals
Even slept with a local girl

Not too damn shabby

Today we have to leave for home though
I'm doing the walk around right now as a matter of fact
By the book, that's me
Starting at the L1 door
I walk around the nose of the plane
Checking the nose landing gear
Peering down the six air intakes on the nose
Four of which having little turbo compressor rotors to look at
Strolling down the right side of the forward fuselage
Checking the Right main landing gear and wheel well
Shining a light up at the hydraulic reservoir
Good deal, purple Skydrol gazes back out at me from the sight glass

It goes like that
A stroll around the bird
Looking for anything unusual
Everything seemed ok

One of the fuel quantity gauges wasn't working
So I had to stick the number one main tank
Just to double check it was full
We'll get a new gauge at our first stopover in Miami
No worries, I did it without even getting fuel on me

I could get used to this
Certainly easier than being a straight up grease monkey
And the pilot seemed to appreciate it that I wasn't afraid to get dirty
I stowed my flashlight and screwdriver in the Flight Engineer's desk
Ready for the one I'd have to do in Miami when we got there

Checklist time
Preflight rituals that I almost knew by heart
After performing most of them every time I did an engine run as a mechanic
But still using the list
Just like a good boy should

Call outs
Flipping switches on the panel
Throwing levers on the cash register
Confirmations

Soon the checklist was done
I cocked my seat to 45 degrees
Now I can see the front panels and my own station
A last fire warning check
I open the wing air isolation valves
Ready to put the pressure to the starters

No comments:

Post a Comment