Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Very Mormon Sunday

I think I've found a home for Dog

The family that invited me over for dinner last Sunday
Turns out they're very Mormon and very nice
Ten miles down the road
Up a long gravel driveway
Sits their large white house
Not large because they are ostentatious
But because there are eight members of the family there
All the kids were under seventeen
With the youngest being six
In an almost surreal contrast to the surrounding desert
Their large backyard has the only green clipped grass I've seen in the county

Needless to say
Dog loved every second of our visit

When we arrived we were ushered through the spotless home
Into the green backyard
Where most everyone was that late afternoon
I was offered ice water but no snacks
Because, I was told they were fasting until sundown that day
It was their family choice
So we played games in the backyard
Throwing the ball for Dog endlessly
Volleyball and badminton came and went
When the sun started setting Dad lit the grill
By the time the last sliver of sun disappeared
Leaving the most beautiful colors lingering in the sky
The food was ready to go
And there were mass quantities of everything!

Tired from all the playing
We all ate heartily
The food was top notch and I suspect mostly organic
It just tasted better to me
I was asked politely if I'd like to talk about their religion
Which I didn't mind
Religion is a favorite topic of mine
And I didn't know much about Mormonism

I learned a lot about them that day
How they lived and what they believed
And while I wasn't too tempted to convert
The way they were living made them happy
And I have to admit a certain degree of jealousy

Dog was jealous too
As I had to coax him into the truck
It's the first time he's had kids to play with
And he wouldn't have minded staying

The sixteen year old son complemented me on my truck
Smiling at it's lack of a top
Asking me when I was going to finish it
I told him I probably would not

I might leave that up to the next owner.
I didn't tell him that as he had said that
I'd decided it would be him

The mom and dad had enjoyed having me
And told me to stop by anytime
Giving me their numbers to call
Offering to watch Dog whenever I needed it
Even asking me where I'd gotten him
And if there were any more with his personality
I shared how I'd found him in a dog pound last year
The personality part was just luck

As we drove home
Dog's head and upper body out the side of the truck
I reflected
I think Dog will like it with them
After a few days I'll bet he won't miss me a bit

No comments:

Post a Comment