Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

KBKS 5 - Vegas Bound

I'm wet
So is Dog
We set out for Vegas at dawn
The weather was beautiful
The desert sunrise breathtaking
My meds were working wonderfully
All was right with the world

Then it started raining
Which normally wouldn't be a problem
After all, a 1977 Chevrolet truck is designed to keep out the weather
But this one doesn't have a roof anymore


Last week I took a short sanity break
And had a few beers
With every passing twelve ounce
My eyes fell upon a Sawzall on the bench
Then the roof of the truck
More and more often

Finally, I couldn't stand it anymore
And the red pickup roadster was born
After removing all the jagged edges with a grinder
It was pretty not half bad looking too

I rationalized that this was the desert
How often can it rain?

Not much is the answer
Or often

At the first drops I looked up in dismay
My old mentality briefly breaking in
Dog picked up on it too
And tried to hide from the water up behind the windshield

But after a few minutes of getting good and wet
I started laughing
This is awesome
I'm driving an old pickup truck
With the roof chopped off
Through the desert
In a wicked rainstorm

What an absurdly awesome situation
I turn up the radio and start singing to the '80's station
I feel like a kid again playing in the rain
With two hundred miles to go to Vegas
Dog began barking excitedly along with my singing

I share a piece of wet jerky with Dog
This is the best time I've had in years

We motor onward to Las Vegas
Dripping water from everywhere as we go
Laughing and singing
With jerky breath

No comments:

Post a Comment