Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lucky One

I need some luck

The test flight went well
I got her back on the ground without too much trouble
The left main gear strut seals blew out on me when I touched down
She rode like a hardtail Harley the rest of the taxi to the tent
It’s always gotta be something
Tweaking this and that
Rebuilding the gear strut
It’s kept me busy for a couple days

Not bad days either
I did blacken my eye by tipping myself off the wing
I have no idea how that happened
Dog swears he didn’t do it
We sat around for awhile with hot dogs and cold beer
I held some ice to my face

We went on a mini road trip yesterday
About three towns over to find a notary public
Not that there wasn’t one closer
I just wanted to go on the down low

My agenda keeps changing slightly
And this was one of those wrinkles
But the documents are signed and set
Effective for tomorrow

So that puts my departure more in stone
Bringing me back to luck

The early F-104 Starfighter pilots had strange ejection seats
They came out the bottom of the aircraft
To make that work the pilot had to be able to secure his legs to the ejection seat
Hence the spurs
Little knobs sticking off the back of those pilot’s heels
To be kicked into slots right before the ejection handle was pulled
Keeping one’s legs attached in that situation is a good thing

And that’s what I want
Some lucky spurs

I’ve got some scraps of titanium out in the tent
It’s my job this afternoon
Fabbing a set of high speed Ti spurs
I’m going to name them too
Going to take my vibro tool to them
One will be Lucky One
The other is Lucky Too

A little humor gets me by
Even if it’s nonsensical
I call Dog over and take a lap around the Lear
Sitting ready to go next to the tent
Everything looking shipshape
Just like a taxi to space should

The glow of my work light in the tent beckons me
I’ve got that last lucky project to do
My jingle jangle space spurs

No comments:

Post a Comment