Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Late Night Return

Three days in Las Vegas passed by in a blur
Of fun food gambling and new friends
My lovely hotel suite got worked over every night
By an assortment of the hotel staff and their friends
The good part about that is I didn't get charged if something got broken
But the good times were worth it even if I did

Dog finally learned to use the natural grass square
Much to our amusement and his horror
We'd all stop talking when he went and stare
He'd stare right back and do his business
Then go back to socializing with everyone like nothing happened

My troubles felt few as I soaked up the place
But on the last night there things took a bit of a turn
Right in the middle of a semi-sober game of charades
I had a wicked seizure which freaked everyone out
I hadn't told anyone what was wrong with me
So I got a free ride to the hospital out of it
The doctor's faces were pretty priceless
When I told them my medical issues
They recommended I stay there in their treatment
I thanked them but signed myself out
I've got other plans in mind

A short cab ride back to the hotel
I made short sad work of saying goodbye to my new friends
Collected Dog from the suite
He marked his grass square one more time
Grabbing a couple box meals to go
From the five star restaurant
And out the door we went

The four hour trip back home was pretty quiet
The stars shining down on us almost blindingly bright
Heat cranked against the desert chill
Dog curled up in the footwell to soak it up and sleep
Left alone with my thoughts in the night
I reflected on things
Questioned my plans
But reasoned that it was still right

Arriving home again Dog leapt from the truck
Checking things out to see if things smelled ok
I grabbed my stuff from the back and wandered to the trailer
On the front steps was a box and an envelope
Which read, "Hello neighbor!"
There were some assorted baked goods inside
Sealed in tupperware thank goodness
Or something would have eaten them

In the envelope a hand drawn card
Signed by a large family down the road about ten miles
I've been invited to dinner on Sunday
Dog came around the corner apparently satisfied with his look around
And began nosing at the boxes
So I opened some up and spread the love with him

With a muffin in one hand and the invitation in the other
I sighed and decided to go
Though more relationships was the last thing I thought I needed
Sitting down in my favorite chair I had one more cookie
Then slowly fell asleep sitting there
Dog warming my toes

No comments:

Post a Comment