Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Lucky Too

Rubbing my head
I rolled over and sat up
Taking off my helmet
The cool spring air touching my sweaty hair
Bringing on a chill

Getting up slowly
I surveyed the damage

A slashed front tire on the quad
I poke at the gash with my fingers
What the heck did that I wonder
I yank the quad off it's side and back on it's wheels

Still brushing leaves and dirt off myself
Wet from the recently melted snow
I walk back up the trail a few yards
Looking for whatever did this

Sticking up out of the soft ground of the forest I see it
A long dark curved piece of metal
I kick at it
It's pretty much in there

I have a shovel on the quad and I go get it
No time like the present to clear the trail
I might be the first down it this spring
But I sure won't be the last

Digging is easy in the wet dirt
Only an occasional small root slows me
I find four loose pieces of metal aside from the one that cut my tire
I can't tell what any of them are
But they sure are light
Lighter than you'd think metal should be

I knock the dirt off the smallest chunk
And laugh out loud
It looks just like......
A spur

I rub at it with my dirty wet fingers carefully
Wary of any more sharp edges
It's got a little spinny star on the back
Two horseshoe bent arms with little hooks
So one could tie them onto the back of your boot

There's something engraved on the side
Clearly by hand
As it's not at all straight

"Lucky Too"

I set it down with the other pieces of metal
And root around in the hole some more
Wondering if there is a match for the spur in there somewhere

I don't find a thing though
Just more dirt, roots and grubs

I fill the hole back in and walk on it a bit to flatten it
Stowing the shovel back on the quad
I have another look at the spur
Made of the same metal as the rest
It's a dark bronze color and maybe a little blackened in spots

The other chunks of metal go in my top box behind the seat
I tuck the spur in my breast pocket
It'll be something to talk about tonight after work
After I hike back to the ranger station and fetch the spare tire back

Breathing the good forest air
I start the walk back
Looking around at all the things I missed
When I had gone by much quicker on the quad

What a fine Maine spring this is

No comments:

Post a Comment