Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

KBKS 3 - The Moon Is My Mistress

The moon is my mistress as she rises and sets
I dream of her nightly always at my best
I have no real reason to go
I don't know anyone there
Nor is it a great place to retire
Due to the known lack of air
But it calls to me like a siren

Now on these baby steps to get there
My time slowly ticking down
I draw sketches on my pad carefully
Unable to keep the shakes at bay anymore

I've taken a few private lessons in a Cessna 172
That combined with my aviation knowledge
Should be enough to help me do what I need to
My temporary outbuilding concealing my skunk works
Flutters at the bottoms as the desert breezes blow through
The dog keeping a watch for the occasional animal to wander in

At the center of attention is my project dujour
The Learjet in question is currently in partial disrepair
I dragged it home two weeks ago behind my pickup truck
What a sight we must have been on the county highway
Then cutting across three miles of dry lakebed

In this project I'm making liberal use of plywood and glue
Industrial strength deck screws are doing their part too
I'm not neglecting the traditional arts
I'm bending some metal and shooting rivets to make a few parts
I'm just cutting corners on a few things
The grains of sand are not forgiving
As they funnel down the hourglass
Time adding up for it all

I'm routing nitrogen lines throughout the fuselage
These I will use as primitive reaction jets
They'll stick through the fuselage at various points
I'll control them on a plywood control panel via manual flip valves
Fed from the two standard sized 3000psi tanks mounted behind the cockpit
Which rests right next to four oxygen cylinders
It looks like a spider's web on my hand drawings
The feed line coming from the cylinders to the board
Then fanning out to different places on the external skin
I've been bending tubing for two days now, but the end is in sight
I'm not bothering to seal up holes or get new gaskets
My new suit it coming by FedEx this week
It's Russian space program surplus from 1972
A marvelous piece of cold war engineering
Shiny, lightweight and just my size
Still saying "CCCP" on the breast too

This doesn't feel so mad anymore
It feels much like any job you do with a deadline
It's just that after my deadline date passes
One way or another I'll be through

Sun setting on my home encampment now
I fire up a few more halogen floor lights
Telling Dog to get me a beer just brings a crooked look
So I trudge over to the fridge and grab a couple
Throwing him a treat in the process as it's not his fault he misunderstood

I think I'll stay up on this for a few more hours
Make the most of this lovely night

No comments:

Post a Comment