Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Reservoir pt2 - Tales of the Wrench

As the needle on my gauge hovered at 3000 psi
I announced to my partner over the radio

"3000 psi"

He called back, "Cycling the flaps
I'll let you know when to check the angles"

The flaps on the Douglas DC-8 slowly retracted
My hydraulic mule whining in protest
At the additional load being put on it
As the large actuators sucked and pushed
Against the volume and pressure of the fluid
That pumped like lifeblood
Through the thumb sized tubing
That routed in around and through the aircraft's skeleton

My hydraulic mule
Sitting just behind the wing
And just to the left of the fuselage
With it's thick
Arm sized rubber lines leading to the plane
Where they are attached near the left main landing gear
To large fittings next to the hydraulic reservoir

The mule pushed the fluid
Making the show move along
The flaps cycle up
Into the retracted position
Taking about thirty seconds to get there

My partner calls out
"Coming back down"

The flaps start to move again
Extending aft and starting to angle down
I am transfixed by the mechanical motion
Idly watching my pressure guage
To make sure it maintained near 3000
Keeping a watch on the flaps
Making sure everything moved without a problem

The flaps reached the bottom of their travel again
My partner called out again
"Going back up, then we'll start taking measurements"

I open the plastic box I have set on top of the mule
Inside is the digital protractor
I can't wait to use it
All the new toys seemed cool
It wouldn't be boring yet for years

As the flaps reached the halfway point
Between extension and retraction
I was ripped from my thoughts

An explosion rocked the aircraft on it's shoring

No comments:

Post a Comment