Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Right Words; Wrong Time

When your father died
I broke into a soliloquy
About all of my favorite hamburgers
From the cheese
To the mushroom
White Castle
And a Cajun served in a Bourbon street back room

You cried and slapped my face
Saying how you loved hamburgers too
But oh, how could I?

I always tell you the right words at the wrong time
Every time

At the birth of our first child
I waxed poetically upon the politics
Of the baby eating cannibals of a far off land
Oh but don't worry
I'm sure they don't do that anymore
And hey, this is subject appropriate, eh?
It's pretty much about babies
And all their tender parts

You wept and asked me to leave
Saying that you loved babies too
"But obviously not in the same way as you"

I always tell you the right words at the wrong time
Every time

When you lay upon your deathbed
Blessed by the priest for the last time
Wasted by cancer
I told you how beautiful you are
That you gave my life meaning
How you helped me get through each and every day
All while feeling your soft thin skin grow cool under my touch

I cried like a baby and finally left the room
Hearing no comment from your lips
As they lay still never to move again

I always tell you the right words at the wrong time
Every time


No comments:

Post a Comment