Copyright Notice

Copyright: Fred Robel, and Fritz365 2010-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Fred Robel and Fritz365 with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Trespassing

Do Not Enter

No Trespassing

If I had obeyed every sign of such wording
All the things I would not have seen
The pictures I wouldn't have taken
The memories that would have never been

Copper Range Railroad engine #29
Never would have felt my presence
Had I not gone on purpose out of bounds
As it resided behind an old copper ore processing plant
Along the Portage in old Hancock town

I climbed aboard and sat right down
One hand on the throttle
The other on the window sill
My wife took my picture
And it's one of my favorites still

Not to mention the ore processing plant itself
Which really didn't need a sign to say keep out
As any sane individual could see it was a danger
As it stood rotten falling down sentinel
Old ore chutes overhead as I walked in
Chains dangling next to each
Daring me to touch one
To see if anything would come out if I did
But I resisted, as there are limits to my curiousity

But I'll never forget the main floor of the large building
A formerly three story vaulted ceiling
Now collapsed onto the floor below
Burying mysterious machinery
Overgrown with green vines and the odd tree
A sight I hadn't seen in real life
I hovered at the periphery
Not bold enough to go inside
The unseen rotten floor taunting my bravery

Other places with signs posted to keep me out:

The old Soo Lines roundhouse in Sault St Marie
Where I saw the blackboard requesting the last one out to shut off the lights
My wife posed amongst the engine pits deep between the rails
As we pictured locomotives steaming quietly
Mechanics tending their every need

A Michigan Central train depot in Mackinaw City
With it's waybills scattered about
Detailing cargo and it's coming and going
Where I sat at a forgotten stationmaster's desk
Reading what came and went during Christmas week in 1953

That random Calumet & Hecla Mining building in Calumet
With it's rusted steam engine powerplant
Cast iron pulley system
Rotten leather and rubber belts
Hanging like meat in an abattoir
From the post and beam frame
Of this forgotten hub of employment

All with their secrets
Of a transportation or industrial past
With relics hidden in plain sight
To be seen
To be touched
To be photographed
And left behind for some other industrial ruins spelunker

I cannot visit these places again
Not for fear of going twice to my own crime scene, no
But for the fact that all the mentioned places are gone now
Engine #29 spirited away to a museum three states away
And all the buildings torn down without much thought

All these places had their own ominous signs
Proclaiming danger or prosecution
But if I had not dared their domains
I'd not be the man I am
Trespassing tentatively upon forgotten dreams


No comments:

Post a Comment